For those who have already visited a destination, planning a second (or third or fourth…) trip can seem like a challenge. We can help you design an itinerary that involves some alternative stops off the beaten path! Each of the countries that we can help you explore has so many places that are magical. There are a multitude of stops that are less discovered and away from the usual tourist sites. These alternative itineraries are great ideas for our clients who have already seen the main sites. Even if it’s a repeat destination, we can make sure that it’s like you are seeing it for the first time!
This week, we share with you some sample alternative itineraries. A tailor made vacation with Bella Vita Travels is never “one size fits all”. One of the benefits of working with us is that your trip starts where it should – with you. Your dreams, your travel style and your ideal destinations. For clients that have already visited a country, we can plan around what you have seen and loved, and what left you dreaming about coming back. We work with you to craft your perfect, unforgettable Mediterranean holiday. To follow, you will find alternative itineraries to get you inspired, but please remember that all of our trips can be changed as you wish. Working with a local expert means that we know exactly where you should explore on your next trip!
Epic Greece for repeat visitors
In our “Epic Greece” alternative itinerary, you will experience an 11-day adventure to some of the country’s most famous archaeological destinations and then some!
Athens, 3 nights
Your first stop will be the fascinating city of Athens. The capital of Greece is a virtual walkthrough of ancient civilization mixed with modern touches and gastronomic delights.
As a repeat visitor, this destination may not be new, but the experiences certainly are! This alternative itinerary makes sure you see this city as though its your first time. During your stay in Athens, we will arrange the following special experiences:
- Private Athens Food tour. Not only explore the streets of Athens, but you will also taste appetizing treats that locals enjoy as part of their daily routine.
- Our Half-day Private Tour of Athens, Ancient and New. Begin at the new, fantastic Acropolis Museum. Then, head up to the top of Acropolis hill. Here you will discover the magnificence of the Parthenon and learn about the effect it has had on modern history. Afterward, you will take a pleasant stroll through the narrow streets of Plaka, the city’s historical neighborhood. And finally, visit the Parliament Building in Syntagma Square.
- Discover the Athens Riviera and Sunset at the Temple of Poseidon You will also pass through some of Athens’ most beautiful suburbs. Afterward, arrive at the Cape Sounion to visit the 5th-century B.C. Temple of Poseidon.
Alternative itineraries in Kalambaka, 2 nights
Your greek adventure continues north! After checking out of your hotel, your private driver/guide will whisk you away from the city for your journey north to Meteora. Along the way, you will at the amazing ruins of Delphi. Afterward, you will arrive late afternoon in Kalambaka where you will stay in the town’s finest hotel for the next 2 nights. Those looking for alternative itineraries in Greece have truly started their adventure!
Then the next day you will explore the centuries-old monasteries of Meteora. The position of these dwellings is particularly stunning perched on pinnacles and seem as if they could just slide off into the deep gorges below. You will also have the opportunity to visit Vergina and the UNESCO-heritage site Aigai.
Thessaloniki, 2 nights
Your driver will accompany you to Thessaloniki via the sacred ruins Dion at the base of Mount Olympus. You can also eat a wonderful lunch in a nearby taverna on the seaside.
You have a surprise in store you in Thessaloniki. It is a dynamic and interesting city with unique architecture, history-rich sights, excellent food, amazing nightlife, and warm hospitality to boot! We can show your this amazing city on your alternative itinerary with our private Best of Thessaloniki in a Day tour.
Santorini in an alternative itinerary, 3 nights
We believe everyone should have a “vacation from their vacation”. Even if you have seen this place before, our alternative route makes sure you see it for the “first” time! You will take a short plane ride from Thessaloniki to the island.
Upon arrival at the Santorini port, your private driver will greet you and deliver you to a spectacular resort overlooking the caldera. During your 3 days in Santorini, you will enjoy the following special experiences:
- Our Private Half-day Santorini Discovery Tour. Start your excursion with a visit to the island’s famous archeological site of Akrotiri. Then, proceed to the charming and quiet village of Megalochori. At last, finish off with a visit to one of the island’s wineries for a tour and taste, before heading back to enjoy your hotel for the rest of the day.
- There’s no better way to explore the crystal blue seas and islands around Santorini than a Private Catamaran Cruise. In the warm sunshine, you will sail past some of the best-known Santorini landmarks and beaches and experience the unique opportunity of sailing into the spectacular caldera.
When it is time to bid “antio sas” on your Epic Greece tour, we will arrange a private transfer to take you to the Santorini airport for your flight back to Athens or beyond.
If you are not yet ready to go home, we can add several options to your greek tour. A few days on the amazing island of Crete? Or discover the archaeological treats, lazy villages, and sandy beaches of the Peloponnese peninsula? The choice is yours and we would be happy to design your trip as you wish.
If this alternative itinerary looks perfect for your repeat trip to Greece, check out the full detailed itinerary here: Epic Greece in 11 days
Discover Sicily in an alternative Italian itinerary, 10 days
In our “Discover Sicily” tour, you will experience a 10-day adventure of some of the island’s most beautiful and interesting destinations: Palermo, Siracusa, and Taormina. Uncover this magical part of Italy!
It is difficult to describe Sicily in just one short paragraph. We think of it as a mesmerizing island full of extraordinary history and traditions. From the sea to majestic Etna and the beautiful countryside, there are so many reasons why to visit Sicily. Repeat visitors to Italy will be entranced by the alternative itinerary of a Sicilian holiday!
Palermo, 3 nights
Upon arrival at Palermo Airport, we will arrange for a private transfer to your accommodations of choice in the city center. During your stay here, we will arrange the following special experiences:
- A private “Half-day Tour of Palermo” with our professional English speaking driver-guide.
- A full-day excursion to Segesta, Erice, and Scoppello. The first stop is the magnificent Temple of Segesta and its amazing intact amphitheater. . From there, drive toward the sea and to the lovely little village of Scopello. Next, it’s on to the medieval town of Erice for dessert (and more)!
Siracusa, 3 nights
After checking out of your hotel, your private driver will be waiting to take you to your next destination in Sicily, the baroque town of Siracusa. Your lovely accommodations in Siracusa will be either right on the island of Ortigia or just a short walk across a small bridge.
During your stay in Siracusa, you will enjoy the following:
- Half-way through your private transfer from Palermo to Siracusa, your private driver will make a special stop at Piazza Armerina to visit the mosaics of the Roman Villa del Casale. You will also have time for a nice lunch. Don’t forget a cannolo for dessert!
- One morning, together with your local expert guide, you’ll explore this rich and fascinating city on our Half-day History and Market Tour of Siracusa.
- Vist “Baroque Sicily“! There are three towns of the area that have been on the “Val di Noto” UNESCO World Heritage since 2002. Scicli, Modica, and Ragusa are considered masterpieces of late-baroque architecture.
Taormina, 3 nights
Your private driver will pick you up early morning and you will begin your adventure, making your way to Taormina.. During your 3 days in Taormina, you will enjoy the following experiences:
- En-route to Taormina, enjoy a Private Excursion to Mount Etna, the island’s still active volcano. After touring some of the most interesting volcanic sites on the mountain, it will time for lunch. This will take place at a local winery.
- Experience Taormina and the coastline from its most exclusive viewpoint, on a Private Boat Tour. Relax and enjoy this excursion on board one of our lovely boats while being caressed by the ocean breeze and rocked by the gentle waves. Afterward, finish off with an aperitivo on board before continuing on to the Bay of Mermaids.
- Enjoy a very special experience led by a local chef who will teach you about Sicily’s gastronomic heritage in a Private Cooking Lesson and Dinner. The evening will take place in a historical villa owned by one of Taormina’s oldest families. This will include the 4-courses you have created, plus a selection of Etna wines to soak up the atmosphere of the villa!
- We will leave one day at your leisure to enjoy and explore on your own.
If you are not yet ready to go home, we can add several options to your Discover Sicily tour. A few days in the Aeolian Islands? We are happy to work with you and design an alternative itinerary and route for the rest of your trip.
Read our full, detailed alternative Italian itinerary in Sicily here: Discover Sicily in 10 days
Brittany, an alternative itinerary for repeat visitors to France
In our “Beautiful Brittany” tour, you will experience a 12-day French adventure discovering the historic sites, quaint villages, sweeping coastline, and culinary treasures of France’s northwest corner.
Rennes, 1 night
Upon arrival at Charles de Gaulle airport, you will be greeted by our host you will assist you with luggage, customs and bring you to the TGV station for the high-speed train to Rennes (in first-class of course!). Once you arrive in Rennes, a private transfer will be waiting to take you to your elegant accommodations in the city center for one night. The evening is free to enjoy on your own and to get a good night’s sleep before your adventure begins.
The next morning, you will enjoy a Private Walking Tour of Rennes. The impressive historical center includes charming, old timber framing medieval houses and one of the most refined gardens in France.
Dinard/St. Malo, 3 nights
Your private driver will be waiting to take you to your lovely accommodations in nearby Dinard or Saint-Malo. But first, you will have the opportunity to explore the quaint medieval village of Dinan. You will enjoy the following adventures during your stay on the northern coast:
- With your private guide discover the interesting port town of Saint-Malo. You will have some after for a delicious seafood lunch. Then afterward, you can work off some of your meals, with an E-Biking Tour and at Cap Frehel. This is a wonderful day of nature and views on your private e-bike tour.
- It’s another day of great exploration with your private guide/driver starting with the charming town of Cancale. After lunch, head to unforgettable Mont Saint Michel.
Perros-Guirec, 3 nights
The next destination on your Beautiful Brittany itinerary will be the Perros-Guirec. Located in heart of the Côte de Granit Rose, this resort town offers a protected natural site of exceptional beauty, unusual landscapes dotted with pink granite rock forms carved by wind and waves. En-route, you will stop in Saint-Brieuc for lunch and a stroll.
Afterward, you will be delivered to your elegant oceanside accommodations. During your stay in Perros-Guirec, we will arrange for the following activities:
- A Brittany sailing experience. Board a vintage wooden ship wit for a beautiful day around Bréhat island. Enjoy an on-board picnic, listening to the stories of this proud region. A wonderful way to experience the stunning coast!
- Otherwise, should the weather not permit sailing, your private driver/guide will take you to explore the lovely port town of Roscoff and Balz Island.
- Trekking the Granite Coast. The best way to discover this beautiful coast is by taking the 4 km section of the Sentier des Douaniers hike that runs along the coast from the chic seaside resort of Perros-Guirec to the village of Ploumanac’h.
- Visit of Morlaix, one of the great old Breton ports. Afterward, you will discover some of the famous “parish enclosures” of Brittany.
Southwest Brittany, 3 nights
The next stop on your Beautiful Brittany tour will be the southwest coast and hinterland. Traveling by private driver, you will make some wonderful stops en-route. One will be the unique Valley of the Saints. Then, head into the enchanted Huelgoat Forest. It is said that King Arthur walked these woods and left some of his treasure in a cave called the Grotte d’Artus.
In the late afternoon, you will be delivered to your exquisite accommodations for the next three nights. During your stay in this region, we will arrange for the following experiences:
- A Full-day Excursion of Ancient Stones and Charming Villages. Your driver/guide will pick you up in the morning for an amazing day of adventure. Your first stop will be the Morbihan Megalithic Sites. Then, it’s off to Pont Aven. Last but not least, you will visit Concarneau, France’s third-largest fishing port.
- Exploring Vannes and Rochefort-en-Terre. Today your private driver/guide will take down the Gulf of Morbihan to the historic town of Vannes. Afterward, make your way to Rochefort-en-Terre, which is listed as one of France’s “Plus Beaux Villages” (Most Beautiful Villages) as well as a “Village Fleuris” (“Flowering Village”) because of the vibrant flowers that decorate the town.
On your day of departure, your private driver will take you back to Rennes. From here you will have first-class tickets on the high-speed train either back to Paris or on to your next destination.
Au revior, Brittany
If you are not yet ready to go home, we can add several options to your Beautiful Brittany tour. How about a few days discovering the castles of the Loire Vally? Or a visit to neighboring Normandy? We also think a few days in Paris is always a good idea – even if you have been before, we can introduce you to the city like you’ve never seen it before!
To read our complete alternative route for a French holiday in the region of Brittany, check out our website here: Beautiful Brittany in 12 days
The Bella Vita Travels Difference
What distinguishes Bella Vita Travels from traditional travel agencies: first, our ability to create 100% custom itineraries including accommodations, guides, drivers, and experiences. Secondly, these itineraries are based around your travel preferences and our first-hand experiences and knowledge. Third, we have developed a vast network of partners in the destinations we send clients. Additionally, we form our own opinions based solely on-location research. And last but not least, we work with partners who provide the only highest standard of quality and service. If its your first trip or your tenth, we can plan your perfect itinerary.
If any of these itineraries look like your dream trip, we are waiting and eager to hear from you!