HIGHLIGHTS OF GREECE
HIGHLIGHTS OF GREECE
In our “Highlights of Greece” itinerary, you will experience a 10-day journey of Greece’s most alluring and romantic destinations. With private guides, drivers, and local experts, explore the history, and culture of Athens. Then, meander the backstreets of Mykonos and the ruins on the nearby island of Delos. Last but not least, relish in the breath-taking beauty of Santorini.
ATHENS – 3 NIGHTS
Your first stop on your “Highlights of Greece” tour will be the fascinating city of Athens. The capital of Greece is a virtual walkthrough of ancient civilization mixed with modern touches and gastronomic delights.
Upon arrival at the Athens airport, we will arrange for a VIP arrival service. You will have personal assistance to fast-track you through customs and baggage claim. Once you have done this, your private transfer to deliver you to your elegant accommodations in the city center. We have several preferred hotels to choose from. During your stay in Athens, we will arrange the following special experiences:
- Start off with a Private Athens Food tour. Not only will you explore the streets of Athens, but you will also taste appetizing treats that locals enjoy as part of their daily routine. You will gain insights into the development of Greek cooking methods, recipes, and culinary traditions. Visit artisans that have perfected their recipes over the decades. Also, tour specialized food stores sourcing the best products from all over Greece. Learn all about the tastes that Athenians cherish, and indulge in a bountiful assortment of appetizing sweet and savory treats with our expert food guide.
- Our Half-day Private Tour of Athens, Ancient and New. Begin at the new, fantastic Acropolis Museum. There are nearly 4,000 artifacts are on display providing a remarkable insight into the everyday life of the ancient Greeks. The museum is home to impressive collections of decorated pottery, sculptures and relics of a bygone age. Then, head up to the top of Acropolis hill. Here you will discover the magnificence of the Parthenon and learn about the effect it has had on modern history. Next, you will take a pleasant stroll through the narrow streets of Plaka, the city’s historical neighborhood. Finally, visit the Parliament Building in Syntagma Square. Here you can watch the ceremonial changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
- Discover the Athens Riviera and Sunset at the Temple of Poseidon on a late day, short private excursion. Drive along the lovely Athens Riviera enjoying splendid views of the Saronic Gulf . You will also pass through some of Athens’ most beautiful suburbs, including the Hellinikon Olympic complex, Glyfada, Vouliagmeni, and Varkiza. Arriving at the Cape Sounion, you will visit the 5th century B.C. Temple of Poseidon. Its magnificent panoramic view of the Aegean Sea will enchant you! Cape Sounion has long played an important part in Greek mythology and history. The first recorded mention of it occurs in Homer’s Odyssey. As the god of the sea, Poseidon was very important for ancient Greeks, and the scale of the Temple at Cape Sounion reflects that.
MYKONOS – 3 NIGHTS
After checking out of your hotel, your private transfer will be waiting to take you to the Athens Airport. Then, your very short flight will take you to your next amazing stop, the beautiful island of Mykonos. Upon arrival, you will be taken to your lovely accommodations for three nights. All our preferred accommodations are based on location, style, comfort, and top-notch service. You will have some fantastic choices to consider!
Your stay on Mykonos will consist of the following special experiences:
- Enjoy our Delos Private Island Discovery excursion. The island of Delos is notorious as the mythical birthplace of the twin gods, Apollo and Artemis. You will walk in the steps of Greece’s illustrious ancestors during your remarkable visit to the island. Your private guide will give you a comprehensive tour of the island and its distinctive landmarks. Make sure not to miss the small sacred lake, now drained, and the ancient Agora, which was once a center of religious, political, and commercial life. Your guide will share insight into the importance of the Terrace of the Lions. Then, the tour will continue to the ruined marble theater, which was built between 314 – 250 BC, and onto the Temple of the Delians, followed by several market squares, colossal statues, and ancient living quarters.
- During your Private Mykonos cooking class, you will experience the traditional Greek way of life, the culture, the Greek art of cooking. Be transferred to the Mykonian Spiti, where your wonderful hostess will wholeheartedly invite you into her beautiful home and create a charming and intimate atmosphere. Hear stories about every Mykonian life and chat with you while you will taste and enjoy some Mykonian meze with wine and Cretan raki. You will wander through her vegetable garden, learn about local organic farming and pick out a few necessary items for your class. . Then it’s onto the kitchen where you will make a Mykonian traditional menu. Afterward, you will enjoy the fruits of your labor with a wonderful sit-down feast created by you!
SANTORINI – 3 NIGHTS
The next and last stop will be unforgettable Santorini. You will take either the high-speed ferry or hydrofoil in business or first class. This beautiful volcanic island boasts dramatic landscapes and views in every direction. It is home to the interesting ancient city of Akrotiri, both black and red sands beaches, and some of Greece’s best wines.
Upon arrival at the Santorini port, your private driver will greet you and deliver you to a spectacular resort overlooking the caldera. During your 3 days in Santorini, you will enjoy the following special experiences:
- Our Private Half-day Santorini Discovery Tour. Start your excursion with a visit to the island’s famous archeological site of Akrotiri. Akrotiri is a 5,000-year-old Minoan settlement that has been preserved in ash. After the great volcanic eruption, the town was literally buried and remained untouched until it was discovered in 1967. Then, proceed to the charming and quiet village of Megalochori. Here a short walk through the ancient streets will feel more like a throwback to Santorini as it once was. You will have the opportunity to observe dwellings built in the traditional Cycladic style and to walk through the tight streets, originally designed to make the village more defendable against pirate attacks. We’ll finish off with a visit to one of the island’s wineries for a tour and taste, before heading back to enjoy your hotel for the rest of the day.
- There’s no better way to explore the crystal blue seas and islands around Santorini than a Private Catamaran Cruise. In the warm sunshine, you will sail past some of the best-known Santorini landmarks and beaches and experience the unique opportunity of sailing into the spectacular caldera. This luxury cruise includes an unforgettable barbeque paired with Santorini’s finest wine and beverages whilst relaxing onboard. You will start your sailing adventure at Ammoudi port, continue below the Caldera and make your first stop at the Hot Springs for swimming and an incredible mud bath. Your journey will continue past Aspronisi, the ancient lighthouse, Akrotiri and Indian Rock before making your second stop at the White Beach for some fun water activities, swimming, and snorkeling. While on anchor you will also indulge in a delicious barbeque paired with Santorini wines and refreshments. After your batteries are recharged, it is time for the third stop at the Red Beach for your final dip of the day before you return to shore.
When it is time to bid “antio sas” to your Highlights of Greece tour, we will arrange a private transfer to take you to the Santorini airport for your flight back to Athens or beyond.
If you are not yet ready to go home, we can add several options to your Highlights of Greece tour. A few days on the amazing island of Crete? Or discover the archaeological treats, lazy villages, and sandy beaches of The Peloponnese peninsula? Or even explore a few of the lesser-known Cyclades such as Milos, Folegandros, or Naxos? The choice is yours and we would be happy to design your trip as you wish.