In our “Beautiful Brittany” tour, you will experience a 12-day French adventure discovering the historic sites, quaint villages, sweeping coastline, and culinary treasures of France’s northwest corner.
RENNES – 1 NIGHT
Upon arrival at Charles de Gaulle airport, you will be greeted by our host who will assist you with luggage, customs and bring you to the TGV station for the high-speed train to Rennes (in first-class of course!). Once you arrive in Rennes, a private transfer will be waiting to take you to your elegant accommodations in the city center for one night. The evening is free to enjoy on your own and to get a good night’s sleep before your adventure begins.
- The next morning, you will enjoy a Private Walking Tour of Rennes. The impressive historical center includes charming, old timber framing medieval houses and one of the most refined gardens in France. Then, you will stop by the parliament building, designed by the architect of the Luxembourg Palace in Paris. You will also have exterior visits to several grand buildings of architectural interest such as the Senate and City Hall. Afterward, visit the 6th Cathedral St-Pierre of Rennes that dates back to the 6th century. Last but not least, take a walk through the Des Lices market. Here you will find over 300 local or regional producers in a very colorful and authentic environment.
DINARD/ST. MALO – 3 NIGHTS
Your private driver will be waiting to take you to your lovely accommodations in nearby Dinard or Saint-Malo. But first, you will have the opportunity to explore the quaint medieval village of Dinan. Marvel at the extensive ramparts, its charming archicture, and its cobbled streets. You will have several choices for lodging. These are all based on location, comfort, and travel style. You will enjoy the following adventures during your stay on the Brittany northern coast:
- With your private guide discover the interesting port town of Saint-Malo. Saint-Malo is considered one of the greatest examples of fortification works built between the 12th and the early 18th centuries. You will learn about its history (WWII buffs listen up!), enjoy its picturesque streets, monuments, and its important cathedral Saint-Vincent. You will have some time for a delicious seafood lunch. Then afterward, you can work off some of your meal with an E-Biking Tour and at Cap Frehel. This is a wonderful day of nature and views on your private e-bike tour. Riding through villages and marshes, follow your guide to the very end of the wild Frehel Cape. You will also visit the fortress of La Latte which clings to a massive rock above the ocean. There are several paths along the coastline with stunning views and invigorating smells of the ocean and beautiful wildflowers.
- It’s another day of great exploration with your private guide/driver starting with the charming town of Cancale. Cancale oysters are famous throughout France. But Cancale is also a delightful granite city with a port facing Mont-Saint-Michel. It is also considered a gastronomer’s paradise with first-class restaurants and brasseries. After lunch, head to unforgettable Mont-Saint-Michel. This unique medieval village built on a tiny rock is surrounded by a constantly changing landscape of water and quicksands which attracts millions of visitors every year. Still do not be deterred by its popularity, it is absolutely worth the visit! The views as you arrive are spectacular. Plus, the medieval village itself is incredibly charming if you know what corners to wander in (and we do!). Lastly, the abbey is not to be missed with its combination of medieval art perfection and spiritual feel that makes it unique.
PERROS GUIREC – 4 NIGHTS
The next destination on your Beautiful Brittany itinerary will be the Perros-Guirec. Located in heart of the Côte de Granit Rose, this resort town offers a protected natural site of exceptional beauty, unusual landscapes dotted with pink granite rock forms carved by wind and waves. With over 8 miles of coastline and three large sandy beaches, Perros-Guirec enjoys a panoramic view over the archipelago of seven islands and is one of the largest bird sanctuaries in France. En-route, you will stop in Saint-Brieuc for lunch and a stroll. Here you’ll find a wonderful lookout point at Pointe de Roselier with a beautiful, plunging landscape by the sea, and views that stretch all the way to the Port du Légué.
Afterward, you will be delivered to your elegant oceanside accommodations. During your stay in Perros-Guirec, we will arrange for the following activities:
- A Brittany sailing experience. Board a vintage wooden ship for a beautiful day around Bréhat island. You’ll learn how to maneuver the boat and to navigate it between islands. Enjoy an on-board picnic, listening to the stories of this proud region. A wonderful way to experience the stunning coast! Otherwise, should the weather not permit sailing, your private driver/guide will take you to explore the lovely port town of Roscoff and Balz Island. Here, you can rent bicycles for the day riding along coastal trails next to small beaches with nothing more than farmland and the ocean. You can also dine in a wonderful seaside restaurant or picnic amongst the many open pastures.
- Trekking the Granite Coast. The best way to discover this beautiful coast is by taking the 2 and a half mile section of the Sentier des Douaniers hike that runs along the coast from the chic seaside resort of Perros-Guirec to the village of Ploumanac’h. Along the way, take in the sights and smell of the rough sea, then discover the multitude of uninhabited islets with their pink granite rocks. Once you reach charming Ploumanac’h, make sure to spend some time on its beautiful and small sandy beach. At low tide, there is a surreal feeling of walking on the moon!
- A visit to Morlaix, one of the great old Breton ports. You will enjoy this medieval town with its cobbled streets, half-timbered houses, and the pink granite viaduct. Afterward, you will discover some of the famous “parish enclosures” of Brittany. This unique architectural collection of stone edifices often include remnants of a church and its bell tower, the ossuary, the Calvary, the cemetery, and a triumphal gate. Sculptors, cabinetmakers, painters, goldsmiths, glassworkers, and embroiderers have all created exceptional works of art that will amaze you! You will then be returned to your hotel in the late afternoon.
SOUTHWEST BRITTANY – 3 NIGHTS
The next stop on your Beautiful Brittany tour will be the southwest coast and remote areas of the region. Traveling by private driver, you will make some wonderful stops en-route. One will be the unique Valley of the Saints. This historic site is a land of legends and the birthplace of incredible monumental sculptures all in one. You will find a feudal moat, a 16th-century chapel, and giant statues of Breton saints. Then, head into the enchanted Huelgoat Forest. It is said that King Arthur walked these woods and left some of his treasure in a cave called the Grotte d’Artus. Take a leisurely walk across the giant boulders and discover enchanting streams, fairy pools, and incredible rock formations that have earned themselves some intriguing nicknames. (Note, kids will love an adventure through this fairytale forest!). There will be time for lunch along the way.
In the late afternoon, you will be delivered to your exquisite accommodations for the next three nights. There are a few unique choices to consider. Whether it is a château on the estuary of Blavet, a charming hotel along the harbor of La Trinité-Sur-Mer, or an Eco-lodge and spa located in the countryside, you will feel at home and in luxurious comfort. During your stay in this region, we will arrange for the following experiences:
- A Full-day Excursion of Ancient Stones and Charming Villages. Your driver/guide will pick you up in the morning for an amazing day of adventure. Your first stop will be the Morbihan Megalithic Sites. The alignments of Carnac are an exceptional site with more than 3.000 menhirs erected between 6.000 and 2.000 AD, over more than 4 kilometers. You will have time to wander around the stones and soak up the special atmosphere of the site. Then, make sure to visit the Kermario alignment, not far from Carnac, in Saint-Colomban. Archaeologists have found along the coast the oldest forms of habitat, they are 300,000 years old! Then, it’s off to Pont Aven. This charming artists’ village gets its name from the river running through town. Pont-Aven was discovered in the 1860s by American painters but is most famous for its association with post-Impressionist painter Paul Gauguin and the Pont-Aven art movement. The riverside is lined with shady trees and old mills, a lovely backdrop for leisurely strolls. Last but not least, you will visit Concarneau, France’s third-largest fishing port. This fortified town will transport you back in time. While wandering through ancient narrow streets and past old stone buildings and houses adorned with colorful geraniums, you will be immersed in the medieval ambiance. Don’t miss the Musée de la Pêche (Fisheries Museum), which displays exhibits related to fishing and has a documentation center with publications about maritime activities and fisheries.
- Exploring Vannes and Rochefort-en-Terre. Today your private driver/guide will take you down the Gulf of Morbihan to the historic town of Vannes. The old town is surrounded by ancient walls and the Cathédrale Saint-Pierre, dating back to the 13th century. You will enjoy fabulous views from the Promenade de la Garenne: breathtaking panoramas of the cathedral and the Tour du Connétable, a tower built in the 14th and 15th centuries. Afterward, make your way to Rochefort-en-Terre, which is listed as one of France’s “Plus Beaux Villages” (Most Beautiful Villages) as well as a “Village Fleuris” (“Flowering Village”) because of the vibrant flowers that decorate the town. Take time to wander around the village through the atmospheric, narrow streets. There are many artists’ ateliers, as well as attractive timber-framed and old stone houses featuring windowsills bursting with bright geraniums. You can enjoy an exterior visit to Château de Rochefort-en-Terre and its beautiful grounds before heading back to your accommodations for the evening.
On your day of departure, your private driver will take you back to Rennes. From here you will have first-class tickets on the high-speed train either back to Paris or on to your next destination.
If you are not yet ready to go home, we can add several options to your Beautiful Brittany tour. How about a few days discovering the castles of the Loire Vally? Or a visit to neighboring Normandy? We also think a few days in Paris is always a good idea! The choice is yours and we would be happy to design your trip as you wish.