HIGHLIGHTS OF DALMATIA
HIGHLIGHTS OF DALMATIA
In our “Highlights of Dalmatia” tour, you will experience a 8-day adventure of some of Croatia‘s most alluring destinations. Travel along the Dalmatian Coast and the Adriatic Sea to visit the ruins of Diocletian’s Palace in Split, the beautiful walled city of Dubrovnik, and other historic villages and unspoiled islands. Also, explore the lakes and waterfalls in scenic Krka Lakes National Park.
SPLIT – 3 NIGHTS
Begin your journey in the ancient city of Split. Upon arrival here, you will have a private transfer take you to your unique accommodations within the walls of Diocletian’s Palace or a seafront hotel. The choice is yours. During your stay in Split, you will enjoy the following special experiences:
- No visit to Split would be complete without an Essential Walk through the Place and Beyond. The tour starts at the south wall of Diocletian’s Palace. Here you can see the full view of its scale and hear how and why the palace was built. You’ll explore the untouched basements, then make your way to the central Peristyle square. Afterward, visit what was originally Diocletian’s mausoleum. It is the second oldest building structure in the world still used as a cathedral. Continue to the north entrance known as the ‘Golden Gate’. You leave the palace area and explore the medieval part known as the ‘Old Town’’. Walking the maze of cobbled streets and squares, see the architectural era which features buildings from the Romanesque, Renaissance, Gothic, and Succession period. The tour finishes on the seaside promenade known as the Riva.
- A Private Excursion of Krka Park and a Croatian Food Experience. Meet with your driver at the hotel lobby to start your tour of this beautiful National Park. Arriving at Krka Waterfalls, you will have a few hours for exploring on your own (and with the direction of your driver/guide). After Krka, head to a local winery, to taste some high-quality wines. Once you’ve enjoyed some of the best wines in this area, visit a prosciutto producer. Try homemade products like prosciutto pâté, cold plates of prosciutto, and pancetta. There is also an à la carte menu here, so you have a lot of options.
BRAC – 2 NIGHTS
The next stop on your “Highlights of Dalmatia” tour will be Braç. After checking out of your hotel, your private driver will transfer you and your luggage to the port. Here you will have a private boat take you to the lovely island of Braç with a fun excursion along the way (see below!). On the island, you will stay in one of our very favorite hotels in Croatia full of comfort and charm.
- Take the long way to Braç with a Private Boating Excursion. En-route cruise around Pakleni Islands, a breath-taking archipelago with lush vegetation, beautiful bays, and intact nature. Enjoy the azure waves, beautiful coves surrounded by pine forests, and gentle breeze scented by aromatic herbs. Don’t miss out on a delicious local meal! Your skipper will have some great recommendations of lovely little restaurants scattered around the islands. Later today you will continue the cruise to Braç.
- An Amazing Day of Biking Braç! You’ll be accompanied by your driver to the top of Adriatic island’s St. Vid, from where you’ll bike down to Sutivan. Start with a breathless view of the mid-Dalmatian islands. Then begin your journey down. This route leads through old villages and some of the most beautiful areas of the island. There will be interesting stops along the way. Once you reach our driver will accompany you back to your hotel in the afternoon.
DUBROVNIK – 2 NIGHTS
Your last, but certainly not least, destination on your “Highlights of Dalmatia” tour, will be the beautiful historic city overlooking the Adriatic Sea, Dubrovnik. Once you have been transferred back to the mainland by private ferry, you will meet your private driver/guide who will accompany you 3 hours south to this marvelous city, but with a bit of fun en-route (see below!).
You will several fantastic options to choose from in terms of accommodations. Our preferred list is quite extensive in Dubrovnik and we will match you with what best fits your travel style and taste. During your 2 days in Dubrovnik, you will enjoy the following experiences:
- On your way from Split to Dubrovnik, there will be a wonderful stop on the Peljesac Peninsula for Oysters, Wine, and More. Discover Mali Ston Bay, famous for the original European delicacy of succulent oysters! Your host, a local farmer, will take you for a private oyster farm tour in the bay. Learn how the oysters are grown and taste them fresh from the sea! Enjoy a glass of wine or two as you drift around and watch the local fishermen apply their trade. Then, walk the small coastal town of Ston with your guide. Once an important military fort of the Dubrovnik Republic, it features impressive 5 km-long medieval walls and 4000-years old saltpans. In the village of Ponikve visit a small family-run winery. A charismatic owner, passionate about his wines, makes some of the best organic wines in Croatia in a traditional way. The winery grows only Plavac Mali grapes, the most famous Croatian indigenous variety, related to Zinfandel. Take an exciting tour around the vineyards, followed by a wine tasting of their best local wines. Continue on to Dubrovnik.
- A Private Half-day Walking tour of Dubrovnik. The UNESCO-protected Old Town features medieval stone buildings, red-tiled roofs, and narrow passageways. A stroll down Stradun, the main street, reveals the intricate network of cobblestone streets and squares. Admire famous landmarks and monumental edifices that make Dubrovnik an open-air museum. Quaint Franciscan monastery hides Europe’s oldest pharmacy; Rector’s Palace honors the mighty dukes of Dubrovnik and the baroque Church of St Blaise celebrates the town’s patron saint. And if you are a “Game of Thrones” fan, just let us know so we can add in some great tidbits about its filming of King’s Landing! No visit to Dubrovnik would be complete without a walk around the city walls, one of the best-preserved ramparts in the Mediterranean. An uninterrupted flow of walls, almost 2 km in length, with massive forts, towers, and bastions, was built to protect this freedom-loving city. Get a glance of the old town of Dubrovnik from a completely different angle and enjoy spectacular views of the shimmering Adriatic.
When it is time to say goodbye to Dubrovnik, we will arrange a private transfer to the airport.
If you are not yet ready to go home, we can add several options to your Highlights of Dalmatia tour. A few days on the up and coming and very beautiful Montenegro coast Coast? Or a visit a few of the more than 1000 islands to explore in Croatia (such as Hvar or Korcula? Or even start up north in Istria and work your way south via Zadar and Plitvice Park? The choice is yours and we would be happy to design your trip as you wish!