ITALIAN FAMILY ADVENTURE
ITALIAN FAMILY ADVENTURE
Experience a 13-day itinerary that introduces both adults and kids alike to this exciting and historic country in a unique and fun way. Children are treasured in Italy, and their presence is warmly welcomed everywhere. Therefore, there are plenty of fantastic, “family-friendly” activities to enjoy. Be it the famous sites, outdoor adventures, or lesser-known activities, there is so much to choose from! On your Italian Family Adventure, have a wonderful “taste” of what this amazing country has to offer.
VENICE – 3 NIGHTS
Welcome to Italy! Your first stop on your Italian Family Adventure will be the island city of Venice. There is truly no place like it on earth. Rising from the waters of the lagoon, you will be entranced by all it has to offer. For example, explore the labyrinth alleyways, marvel at the extraordinary architecture, and experience a life lived on the water. Done right, Venice is probably the most unique and fascinating destination on earth.
Upon arrival in Venice, we will arrange for a private water taxi transfer to your accommodations. Bella Vita has a wonderful selection of family-friendly 4 and 5-star hotels and apartments for you to choose from. These are all based on location, comfort, and travel style. From the hotel, you’re a short walk from many of the amazing sights and landmarks Venice is so famous for. Bella Vita has a plethora of wonderful activities to experience in your Italian Family Adventure. We will customize your days there based on your travel wishes and tastes. Here are just a few examples of what we could arrange:
- For families who love discovering local foods (and wines for the grownups!), a great way to get to know Venice is through our Evening Cicheti Stroll! Delve into one of Venice’s favorite pastimes on this fun and delicious excursion with our local food and wine expert. Venetians are very sociable people. They also love their wine and little antipasti, better known as Cicheti, found at their favorite bacaro (cicheti bar). Once upon a time, the cicheti were very simple. Maybe a boiled egg, an anchovy, or a piece of cheese accompanied by an ombra (small glass of house wine). But times have changed! Many of these tiny shops are now serving top quality wines and serve an almost unlimited variety of cicheti. Therefore, the great fun for locals and visitors alike is to go from one bacaro to the other in search of the ultimate cicheto. And of course, never missing the point of drinking a good glass of wine with delicious food. It is also a great way to learn about everyday Venetian life. Our family-friendly guide will make sure that the kids have fun as well. There is plenty to eat and drink as you work your way through the small streets of the city. This is a great way to get adjusted to the city and enjoy the slow, local, Venetian way of life.
- A wonderful half-day Venice by Land and Water tour giving you a chance to discover the highlights of the city. Visits to Saint Mark’s Square, the Rialto bridge, and more. Then, you will have the opportunity to explore the city for an hour by private boat. Here you will enjoy its sleepy back canals as well as the Grand Canal, the city’s main thoroughfare. We can also add an extra hour to visit the Island of Murano and see a demonstration of its traditional (and beautiful) glass-blowing.
- Get to know Venice like few people do, with our Venetian Rowing Lesson! You’ll have the chance to navigate the canals like a local and explore the lagoon in these beautiful traditional rowboats. For your lesson, you’ll first concentrate on the basic stroke for rowing a “prua” in the boat without moving. You’ll get to practice while gliding along a wide, quiet canal. Then, cross into the expansive, open lagoon, where you’ll be encouraged to try rowing a poppa. This is actually steering the boat yourself at the stern, just like a gondolier. You’ll then return back through the evocative side canals back to the drop-off point. This is one of our most unique and fun tours of the city!
- Venice is full of mystery in its long and exciting past. On our Secret Itineraries of the Doge’s Palace tour, learn some of the city’s most fascinating history. This fun and “eye-opening” excursion leads you into the secret chambers above the Palace. Then, you will pass through the small corridors and the somber torture chamber. Eventually, you will head into the Piombi, the famous prison. Casanova escaped from here in the 18th century! It’s an entertaining look into Venice’s fascinating and often corrupt past for the whole family.
FLORENCE – 3 NIGHTS
Next up on your Italian Family Adventure is the medieval city of Florence. After checking out of your hotel, your private water taxi will be waiting to take you to the train station. Then, from Venice, you will travel by first-class high-speed train to Florence. Here you’ll stay at one of our preferred hotels, upscale inns, or apartments for three nights. As always, it will be situated in the city center within a short walk of the city’s most famous sites.
Your visit to Florence will consist of the following family-friendly tours:
- You’ll start your visit to Florence with a Leisurely Walking Excursion of the City with our private local expert guide. Florence’s rich past as the cultural center of the Italian Renaissance can still be seen today. With your private guide, take a journey through time visiting such famous sites as Il Duomo, Piazza dell Signoria, Ponte Vecchio, and more. Afterward, you will also have the choice of a VIP, skip the line, visit either the Uffizi Gallery or Accademia (where Michelangelo’s David is housed). As with all of our private tours, our guide will adapt your time together to your interests. Do you have a budding architect? Our guide can point out the different architectural styles found in the city. Is gelato one of the main reasons Italy was chosen for your family trip? We can make sure that you pass by the best ‘gelateria’ in town!
- Tuscany is considered one of the world’s most beautiful regions, with good reason! While you’re in Florence, the rolling hillsides and breathtaking panoramas of the Tuscan countryside are just outside the city. Immerse yourselves in its beauty with our Private Excursion into the Tuscan countryside. You will have the choice of visiting the Chianti wine region, the medieval town of San Gimignano, or the rolling hills of the Val D’Orcia with its charming hilltop villages and a visit to a traditional pecorino cheese farm. Your guide and Bella Vita will make sure that the day is tailored to your family’s wishes.
- You’ll enjoy a visit to one of Italy’s most iconic spots on our Day Trip to Lucca and Pisa. The leaning tower of Pisa is one of Italy’s most famous monuments and Lucca is a ‘hidden gem’ of Tuscany. Today, along with your friendly English-speaking driver, you will have a private day trip to visit both of these towns plus enjoy a trip to an authentic Tuscan winery and olive oil producer. You’ll start the day in the charming walled town of Lucca. Here, you can explore the city center, or rent bicycles and ride around the city walls, viewing the town from above! Next, you’ll visit the quirkiest building in Italy- the leaning tower of Pisa. After a chance to take some photos (or climb it, if you dare!), your driver will take you to a typical organic family-run Tuscan winery for a leisurely tour and tasting. Not only will you be able to get to know their wines, but also their delicious olive oil and organic snacks. After this fantastic day, your driver will accompany you back to your hotel.
- Private transfers upon arrival in Florence and to return you to the train station at departure.
ROME – 3 NIGHTS
Your Italian Family Adventure continues in the “Eternal City”. Rome is simply fascinating. With its mix of modern, chaotic city life shadowed by endless historic landmarks and artistic masterpieces, you will be amazed and possibly overwhelmed by all it has to offer. By carefully curating your activities to make sure that you are able to savor this amazing city without feeling overloaded by the immensity of its cultural, architectural, and historic wealth, Bella Vita will assure that you will be able to experience Rome to the fullest- and have a wonderful time doing so!
You will be greeted at the Rome train station by your private driver. He/she will then accompany you to your gorgeous accommodations in the historical center. During your 3 days in Rome, you will enjoy the following experiences:
- Dive into Roman history first hand on our Private Tour of Ancient Rome and the Colosseum with Gladiator School. Today you will travel back in time to relive the past grandeur of the Roman Empire. First, you’ll meet your private expert guide at what was once considered the “downtown” of the Eternal City. You will learn about its tragedies and love for entertainment, and also discover some of its famous citizens, such as Julius Caesar, Emperors Augustus, and Nero. The itinerary will begin from the Capitoline Hill, the most important of the seven historical hills, and then proceed into the Roman Forum, from where the Romans ruled their Empire. Here you will marvel at the ancient ruins of the temples and Basilicas. This fascinating visit will finish inside the glorious Colosseum, and access to the newly reopened underground.
- Next, it’s your turn to defend the Empire! Our Gladiator school experience is the perfect activity for families and friends of all ages that want to bond in the true meaning of brotherhood and forge friendships to last a lifetime. After learning the history, gladiators-in-training take part in a hands-on training session, learning the essential martial techniques of sword-fighting and hand-to-hand combat for survival and honor in the midst of the arena. You’ll get the chance to spar with your partner using the same gladii (wooden swords) that the ancients used. Anyone who doesn’t want to take part in the more physical side of things can look down on the combatting participants from the viewing platform. Alternatively, they can spend their time uncovering the fascinating history behind the ancient combatants and different gladiatorial styles in the fun and informative Gladiator School museum. What better way to immerse yourself in the action-packed history of the Roman Empire than by taking part in a hands-on Gladiator School experience. At the end of the session, all those who have participated will be rewarded with a certificate of achievement that you will be able to keep as a lasting souvenir of your time as a combatant. We know that large museums can be overwhelming, especially for younger travelers.
- On our Treasure Hunt in the Vatican tour, the treasures of this immense building become the site of a family-friendly adventure. You’ll meet your guide and immediately enter with your VIP skip-the-line tickets. Then, you will be able to marvel at the history and breathtaking works of art located within. You’ll have to follow clues and solve riddles that will help you reveal hidden secrets and discover artistic masterpieces. Along the way, your expert guide will explain the significance and history of famous spots like the Sistine Chapel and Saint Peter’s Basilica. A private treasure hunt at the Vatican for a kids’ tour is the perfect way to introduce your children to Rome. They will come away having had fun but also have learned about art, religion, and history. Your guide will engage and entertain your kids while making sure that everyone in the family has an exceptional visit to experience one of the Western world’s greatest collections of art.
- When choosing Italy as a family holiday destination, we know that gelato and pizza are high on kids’ lists. Today you’ll learn the secrets of both with our Pizza and Gelato Cooking Class! Upon arrival at our centrally located professional kitchen, you’ll be greeted by your chef with prosecco, juice, and snacks. After a short introduction, you’ll get to work! First, you’ll learn the traditional techniques of gelato making and create your flavor of choice. As it chills, you’ll move on making the perfect pizza. Your English-speaking pizzaiolo will guide you through the steps of pizza making. First the dough and then the selection of toppings. The variety is endless! Once you’ve finished with your pizza preparations, it’s time to bake them. You’ll then all gather together at the table to enjoy your meal and decide whose pizza is the tastiest. A large selection of wines, beer, soft drinks, and juices will be available for you. Lastly, you’ll end your meal on a sweet note with your homemade gelato. The perfect dinner!
- Private transfers upon arrival in Rome and to return you to the train station at departure.
THE AMALFI COAST – 3 NIGHTS
Your last but certainly not least destination on your Italian Family Adventure is beautiful Positano! You’ll take the speedy direct train to Naples today (in first class!). Your private driver will then accompany you to beautiful Positano. But first a special treat along the way…see below! In Positano, Bella Vita has a selection of family-friendly hotels that we’ll choose from according to your taste and style. During your days on the Amalfi Coast, we can arrange for your family to enjoy the following activities:
- Enjoy a fascinating 2-hour walk through the Ruins of Pompeii with a private guide. This once beautiful and thriving Roman port city was destroyed by the Vesuvius volcano in 79 a.d. The visit to the ruins starts from Porta Marina, the main entrance, which will bring you a Via Marina, an excellent sample of Roman architecture, filled with fountains, buildings, and private homes. In these beautiful homes, you can admire wall paintings depicting various episodes of daily life. Continuing along the Via Marina, you arrive at the center of commercial and political life: the Forum. From here you can easily reach the major buildings and monuments and private noble homes like the Villa Dei Misteri, one of the most beautiful roman villas of the city. Here you’ll see some of the best-preserved frescos of the time. Your guide will help bring to life the streets and buildings, preserved for years under layers of volcanic ash, with stories and facts that will let you understand the history and culture of the period. This will certainly be a visit that the whole family will remember for years to come. Also, If you wish, your driver can then stop to let you sample the city’s specialty – pizza! Naples-style pizza is different from Roman pizza so this is your chance to compare the two.
- A very special day on a Private Boat Tour to the Breathtaking Island of Capri and the Amalfi Coast. They say that “getting there is twice the fun”, and seeing this World Heritage coastline from the water is as impressive as your arrival in world famous Capri. You will cruise along the coast and around the island, with stops for a swim and even a snorkel along the way. Weather permitting, you will have the choice to visit some of the various grottoes nestled in the coast – the White, Blue (extra) or Green. Your English-speaking skipper will drop you off at the port in Capri where you will have free time to explore the island before heading back for the slow, romantic sail along the Amalfi coast as you made your way back to the harbor.
- On your departure day, we will arrange a private transfer to the Naples airport or train station.
If you are not yet ready to go home, we can add several options to your Italian Family Adventure. How about a few days in the Tuscan countryside? Or more beach time in the Cinque Terre? Hiking in the Dolomites is a great choice in the summertime. Or why not explore Sicily and its exotic cities? You decide and we will be happy to design your trip as you wish.