In our “Epic Greece” itinerary, you will experience an 11-day adventure to some of the country’s most famous archaeological destinations and then some! With private guides, drivers, and local experts, explore the history, and culture of Athens. Next, explore the center of the ancient world in Delphi and the medieval monasteries of Meteora. Then, continue north to Greece‘s second city, Thessaloniki. Last but not least, indulge in the breath-taking beauty of Santorini.
ATHENS – 3 NIGHTS
Your first stop on your “Epic Greece” vacation will be the fascinating city of Athens. The capital of Greece is a virtual walkthrough of ancient civilization mixed with modern touches and gastronomic delights.
Upon arrival at the Athens airport, we will arrange for a VIP arrival service. You will have personal assistance to fast-track you through customs and baggage claim. Once you have done this, your private transfer to deliver you to your elegant accommodations in the city center. We have several preferred hotels to choose from. During your stay in Athens, we will arrange the following special experiences:
- Start off with a Private Athens Food tour. Not only explore the streets of Athens, but you will also taste appetizing treats that locals enjoy as part of their daily routine. You will gain insights into the development of Greek cooking methods, recipes, and culinary traditions. Visit artisans that have perfected their recipes over the decades. Afterward, tour specialized food stores sourcing the best products from all over Greece. Learn all about the tastes that Athenians cherish. Also, indulge in a bountiful assortment of appetizing sweet and savory treats with our expert food guide.
- Our Half-day Private Tour of Athens, Ancient and New. Begin at the new fantastic Acropolis Museum. There are nearly 4,000 artifacts are on display providing a remarkable insight into the everyday life of the ancient Greeks. The museum is home to impressive collections of decorated pottery, sculptures, and relics of a bygone age. Then, head up to the top of Acropolis hill. Here you will discover the magnificence of the Parthenon and learn about the effect it has had on modern history. Afterward, you will take a pleasant stroll through the narrow streets of Plaka, the city’s historical neighborhood. And finally, visit the Parliament Building in Syntagma Square. Here you can watch the ceremonial changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
- Discover the Athens Riviera and Sunset at the Temple of Poseidon on a late day, short private excursion. Drive along the lovely Athens Riviera enjoying splendid views of the Saronic Gulf. You will also pass through some of Athens’ most beautiful suburbs, including the Hellinikon Olympic complex, Glyfada, Vouliagmeni, and Varkiza. Afterward, arrive at the Cape Sounion to visit the 5th-century B.C. Temple of Poseidon. Its magnificent panoramic view of the Aegean Sea will enchant you! Cape Sounion has long played an important part in Greek mythology and history. The first recorded mention of it occurs in Homer’s Odyssey. Poseidon, the god of the sea, was very important for ancient Greeks. The scale of the temple clearly reflects his importance. Finally, the shining moment will be sunset in this magical place!
KALAMBAKA – 2 NIGHTS
Your Epic Greece adventure continues north! After checking out of your hotel, your private driver/guide will whisk you away from the city for your journey north to Meteora. Along the way, you will stop at the amazing ruins of Delphi. We consider these to be one of Greece’s most spectacular sites with its dominating position on the slopes of Mount Parnassus and then diving into a deep gorge. Arrive late afternoon in Kalambaka where you will stay in the town’s finest hotel for the next 2 nights.
Then the next day you will explore the centuries-old monasteries of Meteora. The position of these dwellings is particularly stunning perched on pinnacles and seem as if they could just slide off into the deep gorges below. You will also have the opportunity to visit Vergina and the UNESCO-heritage site Aigai. Here is where lie the remnants of the ancient kingdom of Macedonia and the palace of Phillip II, father of Alexander the Great.
THESSALONIKI – 2 NIGHTS
Your driver will accompany you to Thessaloniki via the sacred ruins Dion at the base of Mount Olympus. You can also eat a wonderful lunch in a nearby taverna at the seaside. There are so many fun and interesting stops on your Epic Greece itinerary!
You have a treat surprise in store you in Thessaloniki. It is a dynamic and interesting city with unique architecture, history-rich sights, excellent food, amazing nightlife, and warm hospitality to boot! Here we have a few preferred hotel options right in the heart of the city. Your stay in Thessaloniki will consist of the following special experiences:
- The Best of Thessaloniki in a Day. With private driver and guide, explore the highlights of the city. These include the Byzantine-era Agia Sofia church, the White Tower, the Roman-era Rotonda and Arch of Galerius, and the lively Modiano Market. Then, you will head to the ruins of the ancient city of Pella, the birthplace of Alexander the Great, to see the remains of grand villas and vast mosaics.
SANTORINI – 3 NIGHTS
We believe everyone should have a “vacation from their vacation”. Therefore, we top off your Epic Greece itinerary with three nights on unforgettable Santorini. This beautiful volcanic island boasts dramatic landscapes and views in every direction. It is home to the interesting ancient city of Akrotiri, both black and red sand beaches, and some of Greece’s best wines. You will take a short plane ride from Thessaloniki to the island.
Upon arrival at the Santorini airport, your private driver will greet you and deliver you to a spectacular resort overlooking the caldera. During your 3 days in Santorini, you will enjoy the following special experiences. Please note, we have many different options to enjoy, so we can tailor your experiences to your interests.
- Our Private Half-day Santorini Discovery Tour. Start your excursion with a visit to the island’s famous archeological site of Akrotiri. Akrotiri is a 5,000-year-old Minoan settlement that has been preserved in ash. After the great volcanic eruption, the town was literally buried and remained untouched until it was discovered in 1967. Then, proceed to the charming and quiet village of Megalochori. Here a short walk through the ancient streets will feel more like a throwback to Santorini as it once was. Subsequently, you will have the opportunity to observe dwellings built in the traditional Cycladic style and to walk through the narrow streets, originally designed to make the village more defendable against pirate attacks. At last, finish off with a visit to one of the island’s wineries for a tour and taste, before heading back to enjoy your hotel for the rest of the day.
- There’s no better way to explore the crystal blue seas and islands around Santorini than a Private Catamaran Cruise. In the warm sunshine, you will sail past some of the best-known Santorini landmarks and beaches and experience the unique opportunity of sailing into the spectacular caldera. This luxury cruise includes an unforgettable barbeque paired with Santorini’s finest wine and beverages whilst relaxing onboard. First, you will start your sailing adventure at Ammoudi port. Next, continue below the Caldera and make your first stop at the Hot Springs for swimming and an incredible mud bath. Your journey will continue past Aspronisi, the ancient lighthouse. Then, it’s on to Akrotiri and Indian Rock. Next, make your second stop at the White Beach for some fun water activities, swimming, and snorkeling. While anchored, you will also indulge in a delicious barbeque paired with Santorini wines and refreshments. Afterward, it is time for the third stop at the Red Beach for your final dip of the day before you return to shore.
When it is time to bid “antio sas” on your Epic Greece tour, we will arrange a private transfer to take you to the Santorini airport for your flight back to Athens or beyond.
If you are not yet ready to go home, we can add several options to your Epic Greece tour. A few days on the amazing island of Crete? Or discover the archaeological treats, relaxing villages, and sandy beaches of the Peloponnese peninsula? More of the Cyclades islands? The choice is yours and we would be happy to design your trip as you wish.